Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Xenserver 7.3 & HA 6 years 3 months ago #1488

• Chris Beasley
  • Chris Beasley's Avatar Topic Author
Hi

Xenserver have just released version 7.3 which has changed many things such as high availability and move to a subscription model for some of their things. I'm currently playing with ESXi and vSAN which I love but clearly this cannot be done as a home lab as the costs are too prohibitive.

How is HA-Lizard tied in to Xenserver HA? Does it require native HA from xenserver or is it your own system? Is the move to 7.3s commercial models going to change how HAlizard can be used?

Thanks,

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xenserver 7.3 & HA 6 years 3 months ago #1489

I can't speak with authority, but I believe the HA-Lizard HA is completely divorced from the XS native HA. All I can confirm with certainty is that HA-Lizard/iscsi-ha does work with XenServer 7.3, as I have a pool running on that right now. However, ours is licensed through our XenDesktop licensing.

Xenserver 7.3 & HA 6 years 3 months ago #1491

• Salvatore Costantino
That's correct. HA-Lizard HA is completely independent from the xenserver HA.

The biggest impact from the move to 7.3 will be the loss of storage migration. This will not affect the functionality of an HA-lizard deployment, but would prevent you from migrating a VM AND its disk to another pool.

Xenserver 7.3 & HA 6 years 3 months ago #1494

• Chris Beasley
  • Chris Beasley's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks!

So a more general question if I may.

If I have a 3 pool setup, does HA-Lizard still allow two hosts to drop out and have a single server still working, assuming it has sufficient memory and the VMs are set to restart on loss of host?

I'm predominately thinking of power failures; I have a 1920w UPS which has about 30 minutes of run time with the machines running and I would like a progressive shutdown to ensure that my AD/DNS/DHCP and TVserver remains running until the last moment but shut down the other hosts first to extend the battery power to the final host.

I presume HALizard can do this fine in the 3+ host pool situation?

Xenserver 7.3 & HA 6 years 3 months ago #1495

• Salvatore Costantino
I'm guessing that your question is about a 3 host setup and not a 3 pool setup. My previous comment about the limitation in 7.3 has to do only when moving VMs live between pools. Live migration and HA within a pool work as they always have.

In answer to your question, HA lizard does provide HA for any number of hosts in a pool and would provide HA in a 3 node pool. This is assuming that your deployment uses some form of external shared storage (iSCSI or nfs). If you have deployed HA-LIZARD in a 2 node hyperconverged pool, then a third node would not be possible since the local storage is designed to be exposed between 2 hosts only.

• Page: